« AnteriorContinuar »
ministering either of God's Word, or of the Sacraments, the which thing the Injunctions also lately set forth by Eli
zabeth our Queen do most plainly testify; but that only prerogative, which we see to have been given always to all godly Princes in holy Scriptures by God himself; that is, that they should rule all states and degrees committed to their charge by God, whether they be Ecclesiastical or Temporal, and restrain with the civil sword the stubborn and evil-doers.
XXXVIII. Of Christian men's Goods,
THE Riches and Goods of Chris-
The Bishop of Rome hath no juris-AS we confess that vain and rash diction in this Realm of England. The Laws of the Realm may punish Christian men with death, for heinous and grievous offences.
It is lawful for Christian men, at the commandment of the Magistrate, to wear weapons, and serve in the
Swearing is forbidden Christian men by our Lord Jesus Christ, and James his Apostle, so we judge, that Christian Religion doth not prohibit, but that a man may swear when the Magistrate requireth, in a cause of faith and charity, so it be done according to the Prophet's teaching, in justice, judgement, and truth.
IS Book of Articles before rehearsed, is again approved, and allowed to be holden and executed within the Realm, by the assent and consent of our Sovereign Lady ELIZABETH, by the grace of God, of England, France, and Ireland, Queen, Defender of the Faith, &c. Which Articles were deliberately read, and confirmed again by the subscription of the hands of the Archbishops and Bishops of the Upper-house, and by the subscription of the whole Clergy of the Nether-house in their Convocation, in the Year of our Lord 1571.
A TABLE OF THE ARTICLES.
1. OF Faith in the Holy Trinity. 22. Of Purgatory.
Of Christ the Son of God.
3. Of his going down into Hell.
4. Of his Resurrection.
5. Of the Holy Ghost.
23. Of Ministering in the Congre
24. Of speaking in the Congrega
6. Of the Sufficiency of the Scrip- 25.
7. Of the Old Testament. 8. Of the Three Creeds.
9. Of Original or Birth-sin.
10. Of Free-Will.
11. Of Justification. 12. Of Good Works.
13. Of Works before Justification. 14. Of Works of Supererogation. 15. Of Christ alone without Sin. 16. Of Sin after Baptism.
17. Of Predestination and Election. 18. Of obtaining Salvation by Christ. 19. Of the Church.
20. Of the Authority of the Church. 21. Of the Authority of General Councils.
Of the Sacraments.
Of the Unworthiness of Mini
27. Of Baptism.
28. Of the Lord's Supper.
29. Of the Wicked which eat not the Body of Christ.
30. Of both kinds.
31. Of Christ's one Oblation. 32. Of the Marriage of Priests. 33. Of excommunicate Persons. 34. Of the Traditions of the Church. 35. Of the Homilies. 36. Of Consecrating of Ministers. 37. Of Civil Magistrates. 38. Of Christian men's Goods. 39. Of a Christian man's Oath. The Ratification.