Imágenes de páginas

at tro time of the attack, addressed to a friend in New-York, and dated July 9, 1763. It may be seen in the most respectable papers of that period, and is believed to be unquestionably authentic. As to inany circumstances the writer's statement agrees with that just given, although the conference (perhaps another one) is said to have taken place on the 7th of the month. The sequel is thus:

At the close of the interview, the Indians returned disconcerted, and encamped on the farther side of the river. Pontiac was reproached by some of the young warriors for not having given the signal (the appear. ance of the garrison having surprised him.) He told them, that he did not suppose they were willing to lose any of their men, as they must have done in that case; if they were, he would still give them an opportunity, whether the garrison should be under arms or not. All were satisfied with this proposition—“in consequence of which,”—proceeds our informant,—“Pondiac, with some others of the chiefs, came the next day, being Sunday, to smoak the Pipe of Peace with the Major, who despised them so much in consequence of their treachery, that he would not go nigh them; but told Captain Campbell* if he had a mind he might speak with them. The Captain went, and smoaked with them, when Pondiac told him he would come the next day and hold a conference with the Major, and to wipe away all cause of suspicion he would bring all his old and young men, to take him by the hand in a friendly manner.”

This certainly looks much like a genuine Indian artifice. The writer then says, that “after repeating several pieces of such stuff, he withdrew with his gang to his camp."

The next morning, (Monday, the 9th,) as many as sixty-four canoes were discovered, all of them full of Indians, crossing the river above the fort. A few of them came to the gates and demanded per

* The immediate predecessor of Gladwyn in the com mand of the post.

mission for the whole company to be admitted, for a council.' The Commandant refused this request, but expressed his willingness that some forty or fifty should come in, that being quite as many as was usual in such cases

The messengers returned to their comrades, who were lying and standing all around the fort, at the distance of two hundred yards. A consultation now took place, and then, we are told, " they all got up and fled off yelping like so many Devils.—They instantly fell upon Mrs. Turnbell, (an English woman to whom Major Gladwyn had given a small Plantation, about a Mile from the Fort,) and murdered and scalped her and her two sons; from thence they went to Hogs Island, about a league up the River from the Fort, and there murdered James Fisher and his wife, also four Soldiers who were with them, and carried off his Children and Servant Maid prisoners ; the same evening, being the 9th, had an account, by a Frenchman, of the defeat of Sir Robert Davers and Capt. Robertson.” The sequel of the war, and of the history of Pontiac, will form the subject of our next chapter.



Siege of Detroit maintained

by Pontiac—The Comman dant meditates a retreat—The French propose a con ference with Pontiac, which takes place-The latter demands the surrender of the fort, which the Com. mandant refuses-Vigorous renewal of hostilitiesAdvantages gained by the Indian army-Arrival of succor to the English-Battle of Bloody BridgePontiac at length raises the siege,–Causes of it, The Indians make peace-His subsequent career untii his death-Anecdotes illustrating his influence, ener gy, magnanimity, integrity and genius--His authority as chieftain-His talents as an orator-.His tradition

ary fame.

We have now to furnish the details of one of the most singular transactions which has ever distinguished the multifarious warfare of the red men with the whites—the protracted siege of a fortified civ. ilized garrison by an army of savages. We shali still avail ourselves of the diary contained in the let ters already cited, and of other information from the same source.

“The 10th, in the Morning, (Tuesday) they attack ed the Fort very resolutely. There continued a very hot Fire on both Sides until the Evening, when they ceased firing, having had several killed and wounded. They posted themselves behind the Garden-Fences and Houses in the Suburbs, and some Barns and Outhouses that were on the Side of the Fort next the Woods, to which we immediately set Fire by red-hot Spikes &c. from the Cannon.” În this manner, and by occasional sorties, the enemy was dislodged and driven back, until they could only annoy the fort by approaching the summit of the low ridge which over. looked the pickets, and there, at intervals, they con tinued their fire.

Little damage was done in this way, nor did the Indians at any time undertake a close assault. The Commandant, however, ignorant of their style of warfare, apprehended that movement; and he believed that in such a case,-their numbers being now, according to some estimates, six or seven hundred, and according to others, about twice as many,--the situation of the garrison would be hopeless. Besides, he had but three weeks' provision in the fort, “at a pound of bread and two ounces of pork a man per day.” Under these circumstances he immediately commı nced preparations for an embarkation on board the two vessels which still lay in the stream, with the intention of retreating to Niagara.

He was dissuaded from this course by the French residents, who positively assured him that the enemy would never think of taking the fort by storm. A truce or treaty was then suggested. Some of the French, (who were the chief medium of communication between the belligerent parties,) mentioned the circumstance to Pontiac ; and the latter, it is said, soon after sent in five messengers to the fort, proposing that two of the officers should go out and confer with him at his camp. He also requested, that Major Campbell might be one of them. That gentleman accordingly went, with the permission though not by the command of Major Gladwyn, in the afternoon of Wednesday, the 11th. Campbell took Lieutenant McDougall with him, and both were attended by five or six of the French.

Whether the latter had meditated a treachery or not, does not appear. The French residents generally, at all events, cannot be fairly charged with improper conduct between the contending parties during the siege. They were naturally enough suspected and accused, but we have seen nothing proved against them. The two officers were, however, detained by the Indians; and Pontiae, who is generally supposed to have conceived this scheme for obtaining an advantage over the garrison, now sent in terms of capitulation.


These were to the effect, that the troops should im mediately surrender, “lay down their arms, as their fathers, the French, had been obliged to do-leave the cannon, magazines, and merchants' goods, and the two vessels and be escorted in batteaux by Indians to Niagara.” The Major promptly made answer, that “his commanding officer had not sent him there to deliver up the fort to Indians or any body else, and he would therefore defend it so long as a single man could stand at his side."

Hostilities now recommenced, and were so vigorously sustained on the part of Pontiac, that for some months, (says the diary,) “the whole Garrison, Offcers, Soldiers, Merchants and Servants, were upon the Rainparts every Night, not one having slept in a House, except the sick and wounded in the Hospital.”

Three weeks after the commencement of the siege,-on the 30th of May,—the English sentinel on duty announced, that a fleet of boats, supposed to contain a supply of provisions and a reinforcement of troops from Niagara, was coming round the point,' at a place called the Huron Church. The garrison flocked to the bastions, and for a moment at least hope shone upon every countenance. But presently the death-cry of the Indians was heard, and the fate of the detachment was at once known. Their approach having been ascertained, Pontiac had stationed a body of warriors at Point Pelée. Twenty small batteaux, manned by a considerable number of troops, and laden with stores, landed there in the evening. The Indians watched their movements, and fell upon

them about day-light. One officer, with thirty men, escaped across the lake ; but the others were either killed or captured ; and the line of barges ascended the river near the opposite shore, escorted by the Indians on the tanks and guarded by detachments in each boat, in full view of the garrison and of the whole French settlement.

The prisoners were compelled to navigate tho boats. As the first batteaux arrived opposite to the

« AnteriorContinuar »