Women, Men, & Gender: Ongoing Debates
Gender controversies--about knowing and learning, conversational style, partner violence, sexuality, leadership styles, and pornography--provoke heated discussion. Now Mary Roth Walsh explores eighteen current controversies, presenting two opposing views on each subject, all from recognized experts representing psychology, psychiatry, sociolinguistics, education, sociology, law, and management science. Walsh provides an introductory essay, individual introductions to each topic, and more than 1800 bibliographical citations.
The format of this book is based on Walsh's Psychology of Women: Ongoing Debates, which was published in 1987 to great acclaim. Women, Men, and Gender presents new issues and up-to-date articles that are of relevance to the general reader and today's students of gender studies.
I. Fundamental Questions
* Should we continue to study gender differences?
* Are gender differences wired into our biology?
* Are race, class, and gender of comparable importance in producing inequality?
II. Power and Influence Strategies
* Do women and men speak different languages?
* Are women's superior nonverbal skills caused by their oppression?
* Do women and men have different negotiation styles?
* Is pornography harmful to women?
* Is one's sexual orientation determined by biology?
* Are women as likely as men to initiate physical assaults in partner relationships?
* Are rape statistics exaggerated?
V. Knowing and Learning
* Do women and men have different ways of knowing?
* Is biology the cause of gender differences in math performance?
VI. The Workplace
* Do women and men have different ways of leading?
* Is sex stereotyping the cause of workplace discrimination?
* Is there gender bias in the 1994 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV)?
* Does the Stone Center's relational theory reinforce male privilege?
VIII. Social Change
* Do mothers harm their children when they work outside the home?
* Is the mythopoetic men's movement creating new obstacles for women?
Comentarios de la gente - Escribir un comentario
I wanted to give you my love and support for being a true lady knowing you love woman my daughter is getting married to a girlfriend my daughter name is Kayla her Bride name is brandy the both like each other for years I'm so very happy for my daughter and support her with all my love...I love you thank you for being who you are lady love. Shane
Should We Continue to Study Gender Differences?
Are Gender Differences Wired into Our Biology?
Are Race Class and Gender of Comparable Importance
Patricia Hill Collins On West
Demie Kurz Physical Assaults by Male
Are Rape Statistics Exaggerated?
KNOWING AND LEARNING
Mary M Brabeck and Ann G Larned What
Is Biology the Cause of Gender Differences in Performance?
Do Women and Men Have Different Ways of Leading?
Is Sex Stereotyping the Cause of Workplace
Susan T Fiske Donald N Bersoff Eugene
POWER AND INFLUENCE STRATEGIES
Are Womens Superior Skills Caused by Their
Do Women and Men Have Different styles?
Is It Harmful to Women?
Nadine Strossen Why Censoring
Is It Determined by Biology?