Imágenes de páginas

our hopes and fears mutual, and our sufferings and privations similar; nor were our fates disunited, until having triumphed over every difficulty, we at length suc-ceeded in effecting, what we had often nearly despaired of ever accomplishing, à return to our native shores.

Dec. 3rd. On the afternoon of this day sailed from Gravesend, and anchored for the night about one mile and a half lower down the river.

Dec. 4th. Again weighed anchor, and proceeded as far as Faversham, where we remained for the night, the wind blowing hard from the S. E.

5th.!:. Arrived in the Downs about six o'clock in the afternoon, and anchored. Four officers went ashore.

6th. The officers who went ashore yesterday returned this morning with the colonel's baggage, preparatory to his embarkation, which took place in the afternoon.

7th. Remained at anchor in the Downs, the wind blowing hard and adverse.

8th Weighed anchor about two o'clock

in the afternoon, with the wind from the N. E. and had nearly weathered Beachy Head, when it commenced blowing hard from the S.E., which obliged us to continue beating about during the whole night.

9th. Still beating about without making any material way; again in sight of Beachy Head, with the wind fresh from the S. W.

10th. During the greater part of this day becalmed within view of the Isle of Wight.

Dec. 11th. Made little progress, wind still adverse, and blowing hard from the S. W. by W.

12th. Blowing a stiff gale from the S. E. by E.

13th. Captain Sharpe on this day seriously contemplated putting into Plymouth, in consequence of the severity of the weather, adverse winds, and the little way we were making in our course.

14th. Arrived at Falmouth Harbour about ten o'clock in the morning, after beating about all night close on the Lizard shore, with the wind blowing hard from the S.W.

Went ashore with Colonel Gilmore, and accompanied him to 'the village of Saint Mawes, where we remained for the night. The most distressing reports were throughout this day confidently circulated of the loss of the Indian, with the whole of Colonel Skeene's brigade.

15th. Proceeded with Colonel Gilmore to the rectory of Saint Juste, and viewed with much delight the ancient and beautifully-situated church, built principally in the Saxon style of architecture, and celebrated for its antiquity, and good preservation. Returned on board to dinner.

Dec. 16th. Continued at anchor in Falmouth Harbour during this and the following day, in consequence of the unabated severity of the weather, and adverse state of the wind.

18th. We were this morning visited by Colonel Campbell, who had arrived a day or two previously, in the Dowson at Fowey Harbour, and from him we received a confirmation of the melancholy loss of the Indian, without the preservation of a single individual. This dreadful intelligence pro

duced a general gloom, and excited feelings of deep commiseration for the fate of so large a body of our comrades ; but while lamenting the sad catastrophe by which we had been deprived of so many gallant companions, we felt ample cause for mutual congratulation on contemplating our own safety, after the imminent hazard we had so recently encountered of being involved in a similar premature destruction. The Dowson had proceeded upwards of fifty leagues on her voyage in company with the Indian, when the two vessels were separated by the severity of the weather, and the former happily succeeded in reaching a place of safety. Besides, the entire of Colonel Skeene's ill-fated corps, Colonel Campbell had to lament the loss of four officers of his brigade,' who had unhappily proceeded in the Indian, for want of accommodation on board the Dowson. A large quantity of clothing, and military stores, belonging to Colonel Hippesley's corps, were likewise lost on this disastrous occasion. During our passage , from Gravesend to Falmouth, the weather had

been almost uniformly severe, and the wind in general contrary'; but subsequent to our reaching this harbour, the season became still more tempestuous, and we daily witnessed vessels flying into port for shelter from the fury of the storms, which were at that time so fatally experienced in the Channel.

On the afternoon of the 21st the violence of the gale abated, and the wind having become favourable, every preparation was made for finally proceeding on our voyage. All was now hurry and bustle, in hourly expectation of bidding a long farewell to the happy shores of Britain; nor could I contemplate without feelings of deep sørrow and regret, the indefinite and perhaps far-distant period to which the joyful day of my return would be protracted. As the moment approached which was destined for our departure, I became more feelingly alive to the recollection of former times; but aware of the impolicy and weakness of thus yielding to a train of cheerless contemplations, I once more in a few lines bade adieu to some absent friends, and

« AnteriorContinuar »