« AnteriorContinuar »
the Cabin of atchenha was wounded in the head by a firebrand in the hands of a drunken Alguonquin, who had come a few Days previously from three Rivers. The alquonquin's name is Mitewemeg. The injury is Slight.
11, 12, 13. The forty hours' devotion was held. The Blessed sacrament was exposed in Our Chapel on the uth Day from 4 o'clock in the morning Until 8 in the evening. The benediction was at 5 o'clock.
On the 12th, the blessed Sacrament was exposed at the hospital. There was High mass and a sermon, and benediction at half past 4 in the evening.
On the 13th, the blessed sacrament was exposed at the Ursulines'. High mass was sung there with music. There was a sermon and benediction at 4 o'clock in the evening.
14. On Ash Wednesday, Father Poncet 12 members of the held, in his Room, the first meeting of the Con- congregation; gregation of Our lady. Twelve were present.“
ist meeting, in father
Poncet's room. At 9 o'clock in the evening, one of the two Iroquois who remained at quebec was wounded with a blow from a firebrand in the hands of Mitewemeg, a drunken algonquin. The blow was not serious; satisfaction was made with a collar, and all passed well.
24. Monsieur Vignard said the first mass Monsieur vignard's in the chapel of the Congregation of our ist mass. lady, at the first meeting of the Congregation, at which Monsieur de Charni was ist prefect of the announced as the prefect of the said Congregation.
At evening, our two frenchmen arrived
tage selon l'ordre qu'ils en auoient faute de guide et du Chemin qui estoit long et mauuais.
8 le P. Albanel auec Mr Lepinè & 4 frandes monts n. Dame
cois Retourne par terre du coté du sud, de son hyuernement auec les sauuages. Il eut fain en chemin en son retour par terre lespace de 12 lours Il estoit parti des montz nostre dame
le 3 feburier. Sr. St. Ignace morte. 15 Iustement a midy expira dans vn assou
pissement seur st Ignace hospitaliere. L enterrement se fit le lendemain a 9 heures du matin.
22 Retourna a tadoussac le P Albanel auec le sieur Lespinè en chalouppe
25 Vn leune francois appelle le grand Iacques ou le picard passant sur les glaces pour
aller a L isle d'orleans Enfonca et se noja. lour des Rameaux Le Pere supr dit la grande Messe n'ayant
que le Pere poncet pour l assister sans diacre et soubdiacre. le P Poncet fit l'eau beniste dans la sacristie, puis il asperga le peuple. en suitte il fit vne petite d'instruction sur la Ceremonie des Rameaux qui se fit incontinent apres par le P Sup". Il donna les Rameaux a Mr Le Seneschal Mr Charni n'i estoit pas puis aux Marguilliers. le P Poncet fit la distribution au peuple. Le P supr. Chanta seul la passion.
28 on les Chanta en nostre chappelle. Mr
from Montreal, not having been able to pass beyond to Onontage as they had been ordered to do, for lack of a guide and on account of the Road, which was long and bad.
MARCH. 8. Father Albanel, with Monsieur Lepine and 4 frenchmen, Returns by land, on the south shore, from his wintering with the savages. He suffered hunger on the way, returning by land, for the space of 12 Days. He had left the nostre dame mountains on the 3rd of february.
15. Precisely at noon, sister st. Ignace, a hospital nun, expired in a swoon. The burial took place the next day, at 9 o'clock in the morning.
22. Father Albanel returned to tadoussac with sieur Lespinè, by shallop.
25. A Young frenchman called “big Jacques” or “the picard,” while passing over the ice to go to The island of orleans, Broke in and was drowned.
The Father superior said high Mass, having only Father poncet to assist him, without deacon or subdeacon. Father Poncet prepared holy water in the vestry, and then sprinkled the people. Thereupon, he gave a brief instruction concerning the Ceremony of the Palms, which was performed immediately afterward by the Father Superior. He gave the Palms to Monsieur The Seneschal,- Monsieur Charni was not there, then to the Church wardens. Father Poncet made the
Les tenebres Godefroy chanta la sere lecon La 2de pierre Mercredy.
duquet. La 3° Mr de repentigni. Tout alla bien.
29 Le P Supr dit la grande messe: personne de nos PP. ny Cõmunia quia non erat numerus competens. on Chanta tenebres, et le salut.
30. on chanta tenebres. office dans la grande 31. on Cõmenca a officier dans la grande Eglise. Eglise. Le P Supr officia — Tout alla bien.
y eut deux grandes Messes. auec diacre et
Au matin arriuerent de Montreal deux agni. eronons pour faire des presens aux hurons vide. [blank space]
On prescha apres disner. 2 On chanta la grande Messe auec Diacre et soubdiacre on prescha le matin ce fust le predicateur du Caresme. Salut a 5 heures a 1 hospital.
3 grand Messe auec Diacre et soubdiacre.
Salut apres disner aux Vrsulines. abjuration. le fis faire abiuration d heresie en ma cham
bre en presence de Iobin & pierre du Val Et du p Chastelain selon la formule du conseil de trente a Vn garcon appartenant au dit Iobin appelle Rene voie.
10 partit Mr de Charni pour les trois Riui. eres dans Vne Chalouppe.
distribution to the people. The Father superior Sang the passion alone.
28. They were Sung in our chapel. Mon- The Tenebræ, on sieur Godefroy sang the ist lesson; pierre
Wednesday. duquet, the 2nd; Monsieur de repentigni, the 3rd. All went well.
29. The Father Superior said high mass; none of our Fathers received Communion, quia non erat numerus competens. We Sang the tenebræ and the benediction.
30. We sang the tenebræ.
31. We Began to hold services in the large Services in the large Church. The Father Superior officiated. All
Church. went well.
APRIL. 1. The Father Superior officiated at high Easter. Mass. There were two high Masses, with deacon and subdeacon. Benediction with us at 5 o'clock.
In the morning, two agnieronons arrived from Montreal, to make presents to the hurons; vide [blank space].
There was preaching after dinner.
2. We sang high Mass, with Deacon and subdeacon. There was preaching in the morning, by the preacher for Lent. Benediction at the hospital at 5 o'clock.
3. High Mass, with Deacon and subdeacon. Benediction at the Ursulines' after dinner.
I directed in my room,– in the presence of Abjuration. Jobin, pierre du Val, And father Chastelain, according to the formula of the council of trent,— the abjuration of heresy of A servant